An Introduction to Jumill

Brad Franklin Blackstone

Singapore Institute of Technology

537 Clementi Road

S599493

Dear Prof. Blackstone,

My name is Jumill Noel Macadaeg Bigueras, but I go by Jumill. As you may have noticed from my lengthy name, I am Filipino. When I was six, my family and I moved to Singapore. Unlike most of my peers, my educational path was non-traditional. After completing my "N" Levels, I pursued a Higher Nitec certificate in Mechatronics Engineering at the Institute of Technical Education. I then earned a Diploma in Business Process and Systems Engineering at Temasek Polytechnic. This shift in my field of study was motivated by a growing interest in data analytics and business processes.

However, after my internship, I realized I lacked technical engineering skills as my Diploma course offered more data-analysis skills. This led me to pursue a Degree in Mechanical Engineering at SIT.

While I may not have TED Talk-level communication skills, I believe that I possess a good grasp of effective communication. For instance, during my National Service stint with the Singapore Police Force, I assisted people in filing police reports. In these high-stress situations, I was able to calm distraught civilians and help them focus on providing the necessary details. My ability to communicate clearly made this process smoother for both the civilians and the Investigating Officers.

However, I do struggle when it comes to being concise, often going in circles when trying to make a point. For example, during my final year project presentation at Polytechnic, my inability to succinctly convey our results led to confusion among the lecturers. 

Throughout my working life, I have adhered to a simple mantra: "If you can't make it easy for others, do not make it difficult." This mindset has helped me become a reliable team member, and my supervisors have often commended me for my consistent work. I take pride in ensuring that, at a minimum, I deliver what is required and, when possible, exceed expectations.

My goals for this module is firstly, to learn how to write reports effectively, especially for future projects at SIT and in my career as an engineer. I believe the success of any project depends on how well it is presented to stakeholders or project judges. Second, I would like to improve my ability to express ideas concisely and directly. 

Best regards,

Jumill Bigueras

Comments

  1. Hi Jumill, your introduction was really inspiring and insightful. It definitely did not lack conciseness, and it also wasn't too lengthy. I think all your points were thoroughly addressed with proper language use. Overall, your post was also really organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jumill, your letter was well-crafted and sincere. It was clear and concise, while having a motivational impact. I believe we have the same goal which is improving on our written skills! Lets strive for effective communication learning together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Junmill I really enjoyed reading your introduction! It was clear, straightforward, and gave me a great sense of who you are. I truly hope you achieve all the goals you've set for yourself by the end of this module.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment